Monday, August 1, 2016

My Orchids or Growing Orchids the Easy Way

Dear Gentle Readers,

I posted photos recently from the fabulous orchid show called Jewels of Winter at Riverside Gardens in beautiful Mill Creek Park. 

I told you orchids didn't deserve their "hard to get along with" reputation and they were not that difficult to grow. I encouraged you to give it a try.



Here are photos of my orchid collection. I have six plants. When they get sick, they all get sick, but when they bloom, it is a true joy.

Mine start blooming in February and keep on blooming until the end of May. My sister sent me my very first orchid for my birthday in February about seventeen years ago.  I don't know if that's why my orchids' blooming cycle starts then or not. 
Sometimes they split into two plants, but I keep the collection down to six. I give the others away. Who wants six orchids all the same? 

I use a non-soil mossy mix and little plant food sticks from Lowe's. I give them two ice cubes a week and a little spritz of water a few times a week, daily when it's really dry.

If I can do it, YOU can do it. Give an orchid a try. While African Violets have a mumsie or even a grandmumsie vibe, the orchid is sleek and modern. It makes the perfect living accessory in a room. If you watch them, you'll notice if they're happy or not. If not, simply move them to another location, check to make sure you aren't overwatering them, and feed them.

Happy Orchid Growing!
Hugs,
Carol 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Gentle Readers, Oh, it’s been a long time since I sat here to ramble on and on about the minutia and planetoids colliding in my m...