Thursday, August 18, 2016

Charming Deception, Page 8


He reaches for my hand and we walk toward the back of the building and enter a tall, gleaming, glass elevator. He pushes some buttons and the elevator begins its slow descent while I take in the breathtaking, paradise-like view. This is the most beautiful place I had ever seen. And, yes, strangely, it does feel like home.

We walk a short way down to the shore. I kick off my shoes and pick them up, letting the water lap my toes. We stroll along silently, listening to the calming sounds of the ocean.

“I’m going in. Are you coming?” I say.
“No. I’ll take your things and wait for you in that chair right over there, see it?”
“Why don’t you want to go in the water?”
“It’s wet. And it bur… oh, I just hate the water.”
“Brr! You HATE the water,” I stifle a giggle, “and we bought a condo on the beach? Why on earth?” I howl with laughter.
“Yes, why on Earth,” he laughs, too. “Because you love it here. And you love the water. And I… I love you.”
“Jakson Blake, I think you’re too good to be true!”
“No, Babe. I’m not.”  He looks at me with a deep sadness in his eyes for a moment, and then it’s gone. “Go! Swim a little. But don’t go out too far. I’ll get some sun. I do tolerate sunshine. Look for me in the chair over there, so you don’t drift off too far south, okay? There’s a bit of a current today.”

I nod and hand him my shoes and cover up. Again I see the sadness in his eyes once again just as I turn away to run into the water.
“You okay?” he shouts to me as I bob around in the water.
“Yes, I’m fine. Don’t worry.”
“Is it cold?”
“Not at all. It’s almost like bath water. It feels wonderful! Are you sure you won’t come in and join me?”
“Only to save your life, my love, would I brave that water and come in there. Have a good swim. Be careful. Watch my chair. I’ll wave. You wave back. You shout if you need me. But try not to.”
“I’ll be fine, Jaks,” I laugh. I bob around for a little longer. I swim up toward the public beach, then back swam down the other way. Every now and then I look for Jaks and wave to him. He waves back, ever watchful.

I love being in the water. It takes all my cares away. It gives me a layer of insolation from the real and hurtful world. It strengthens me, makes me feel stronger, better able to deal with whatever the hell life throws at me. It makes all those frightful dreams I have seem less real, less threatening. I slow down in the water, like my life is a slow motion movie, in this case a lovely but bizarre one. Little things are familiar. It’s the big, important ones that seem unfamiliar.
This place is so beautiful. The weather is perfect. The condo is gorgeous, furnished and decorated to suit my taste perfectly. I have a closet full of beautiful clothing and accessories. Jaks is handsome, sweet, and attentive. He seems genuinely concerned about me and is very romantic. And incredibly hot!
But I couldn’t shake the feeling that all this was some elaborate set-up. But why? By whom? And what would they want with me? About an hour passed.

“Sam, are you ready to come out yet?” Jaks stands and calls to me. “I’m starving, and you have to be getting all water-wrinkly by now!”
“Okay,” I laugh, swim toward him, and walk up from the seashore. He holds out a towel and helps me dry off. He helps me on with my blouse as I slip on her shoes. We head back upstairs, hand in hand, in silence.
“Do you want to step out for an early dinner, DiStefano’s maybe? You love his Angel Hair Marinara.”
“No. I’m really tired, Jaks. I’d rather stay home. Let’s cook.”

“Okay.”
8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Gentle Readers, Oh, it’s been a long time since I sat here to ramble on and on about the minutia and planetoids colliding in my m...