Thursday, August 25, 2016

Charming Deception, Page 11

“The day we left to come home, we had lunch at the poolside bar before catching a cab to the airport. And a newlywed couple from New Jersey sat next to us. They asked if the water was always that calm and peaceful and warm and clear. Remember?” I shake my head no. “We told them, yes, the water is always like this, just smooth and calm and wonderful, and the next day a hurricane hit.” We laugh.

Happy days turned into pleasant weeks together. I become very comfortable with the sweet, attentive, romantic Jakson Blake.

“Sam? Sweetheart? Where are you?” he calls.
“I’m out on the balcony!” I shout to him. He rushes out to the balcony and gives me a gentle kiss.
“Close your eyes. I have a little surprise for you.” He hands me a tiny box. “Here. This is for you. It’s just something little. It’s something you saw in a magazine. You thought it was pretty. Before you got sick. I ordered it for you. It just came in.”
“Jaks! I can’t remember anything.”
“I know, I know. Just guess.”
“Okay. You said ‘it’, so it’s one, not a pair, like earrings.”
“Oh, you’d rather earrings? You did find your jewelry box, didn’t you?”
“Yes, I did. Beautiful pieces in there, I love every one of them, but you told me to guess, so I’m just guessing. Too small for a bracelet.”
“Maybe you should just open it and quit guessing.”
“Honey, whatever it is, if YOU bought it for me, I’ll love it.”
“Open it. You’re killing me here,” he says. I giggle and open the box, my eyes still closed.
“It’s a pendant on a chain. It’s… its a little heart! Can I open my eyes now?”
“Yes. And look, Love, it’s engraved with our names and our wedding date, so you won’t… forget again. It may look like silver, but it’s platinum, so it won’t tarnish or discolor.”
“Aw, how sweet! I love it! Put it on me. I’ll wear it always.”

I reach up and kiss him.
“Oh! I’ve really missed those kisses of yours.”
“Really?” I kiss him again. “How much?”
“Terribly. Achingly. They’re wonderful kisses, you know,” he whispers. “And highly addictive.”
“Mmm.”
“We could… continue this inside… if you want.”
“What, you don’t want to make love to me right here on the balcony, Mr. Blake?”
“Mrs. Blake, I am British, and rather reserved. But if you insist!” He closes in on me.

“No, we’ll go inside. I wouldn’t want to give dear sweet old Mrs.Watchter a heart attack.”
“So, you remember the old woman in the condo across the way from us, but you don’t
remember me? Am I so damn forgettable?” He holds his head in his hands, pretending to be devastated. “I am crushed. So crushed. I need… more kisses. Lots of kisses. Tons of kisses.”
“Oh yeah?” I giggle. “And just where would you like those kisses?”
“In the bedroom.”  
We make our way to the bed and get comfortable. Jaks pulls me close to him and kisses my forehead as I cuddle under his right arm.
“Jaks, we got married on the beach, right? I think I’m starting to remember.”

“That’s wonderful! Yes, we got married at the Sheraton Sand Key right up the beach from here. Tell me what you remember, Sweetheart.” He holds me close.
11.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Gentle Readers, Oh, it’s been a long time since I sat here to ramble on and on about the minutia and planetoids colliding in my m...