Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Charming Deception, Chapter 2, Page 13




Chapter Two
A Kidnapping


“Sam, I need to run to the drugstore to pick up my allergy prescription. Want to come along for the ride?”
“No, not really, honey.”
“Oh, come on. I’m not comfortable leaving you alone yet.”
“Jaks, I’m fine.”
“What if you don’t feel good while I’m gone? What if you get a bad headache? Or one of those blinding migraines Dr. Reynolds mentioned?”
“I feel great. You’re over-reacting to what the doctor said.”
“Come with me. You love to walk up and down the aisles of the drugstore and look at all that female do-dad stuff. And I’ll buy you whatever you want! We won’t be long. It’s a great day for a ride to the drugstore. Come on.”
“Oh, okay. I guess I must really love all that female do-dad stuff.”

We drive to a small drugstore far off the main highway. The parking lot was almost empty. Once inside, I walk around while he picks up his medication and I meet him at the cash register.
“What? No female do-dads caught your eye?”
“Nope, not a one. I must be sick.”
“There’s a concert in the park tonight,” says Jaks as we walk to the car. “Those acapella guys you like from Linton University. Feel like a little outdoors music?”
“Sure. I remember those guys! They remind me of...”

Somebody grabs me from behind, pulls something over my head, and throws me into a nearby vehicle.
“Jaks! Jaks!” I scream and kick and fight as hard as I can.
“Shut the hell up, bitch, or we’ll kill him,” a man growls in my ear. I freeze. I hear roaring in my head. Everything starts to spin. I feel pounding in my head and my throat. Breathing is difficult. I gasp. Blackness.

“Sam! Samantha? Where are you?” I hear Jaks whisper. “Sam?”
“Jaks?” I whisper back. “I’m right here. Jaks, are you hurt?”
“No, I don’t think so,” he says. “Somebody knocked me out at the car. Are you okay?”
“Yes, I think. But there’s something over my head and my hands and feet are tied.”
“Yes, me, too.”
“Where are we?”
“I don’t know.”
“Jaks, what do they want from us?”
“I have no idea, baby. What could they want with us? It can’t be ransom if they took us both. Are you all right? Does your head hurt? I heard you scream.”
“I’m okay, Jaks.”
“Can you... can you try to scoot toward me? I’ll do the same. Come on, Sam, come to me.”
I wiggle toward the sound of his voice. I bump into him, recognizing his scent.
“Okay, turn around and try to untie my hands. Good, good. You’re getting it.” His hands are free now. He removes a pillowcase from my head and unties my hands and feet.
“Are you sure you’re okay?”
I grab him and hug him tightly. “I am now.” I cry like a big baby. I can’t help it.
“Sh, sh, my darling. Please don’t cry. It’ll be okay. We’ll get out of this, I promise you.”

He holds me close to him and kisses my head, calming my fears. I think maybe I hear him crying, too. 
The back doors of the van swing open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Gentle Readers, Oh, it’s been a long time since I sat here to ramble on and on about the minutia and planetoids colliding in my m...