Thursday, October 20, 2016

Charming Deception, Page 19

“Is this Jakson Blake, Isabella?” He pulls out a photo from a file on the table.
“Yes, that’s him, that’s my Jaks. He’s an international mediator. He’s a brilliant man, he speaks seven languages. Oh, he’s incredible, Father.”
“No, dear. This is Tarek Ikari, a Galt tracker, actually the best tracker on all of Norwell, the one who was sent to track you, find you, and kill you.”

“No, Father, you’ve got it all wrong. This is Jakson Blake. Jaks is my husband. He’s been wonderful to me, very loving, devoted. He has had many opportunities to harm me, but he didn’t. We’ve been together for a year and a half. He could have killed me anytime, at night while I slept next to him. Are you sure Werner and the international terrorists weren’t hired to track and kill me?”
“I am absolutely positive Tarek Ikari was the one sent to kill you. He is the best tracker the Galts have. You are very lucky to be alive, daughter. Our men are zeroing in on his location right now. They expect to have him in custody by sunrise.”

I gulp hard. My mouth goes dry. I feel my heart pounding in my chest.
“Father, what will you do to him?”
“Get the truth out of him.”
“How?”
“Oh, the usual way.”
“And then what?”
“No one has ever left the Tower alive.”

“Father, please don’t kill him, or cut anything off or hurt him. Promise me. I need to talk to him.” The king didn’t answer. “I want to be there for your interrogation.” I thought about it some more. “No, I want to handle the interrogation myself,” realizing I can spare him so much agony that way. My father is silent and sullen.
“Father, I love him…”

The shiny, liquid doorway disappeared and the brick wall was once again solid. Jakson ran in the nearest door he could find, surprised to find himself in a pediatrician’s office.
“Can I help you?” asked the receptionist.
“Did a woman just run in here? Long straight auburn hair, big blue eyes? My wife.”
“No. I’m sorry.”

Dejected, Jakson walked back out onto the street and ran straight into the hoodlums he was running away from. They grabbed him and threw him up against the now solid brick wall.
“Where is she, Blake? Where is Molly Kasjak? Where is Samantha Blake? Werner wants her back now.”
He motioned inside the pediatrician’s office, fully aware they wouldn’t believe his highly implausible story. “We were running down the street. Hands came out of a shiny doorway. They grabbed her. They pulled her away from me. I held on to her as long as I could. But… she’s gone. Gone! I ran into this doctor’s office here looking for her. But she’s not there. She’s gone.”

“Gone?”
“Gone,” he repeated, nodding his head.
“Gone where?”
“She’s just gone,” Jakson tried to explain. “These hands came out through a portal that opened up on the brick wall and they grabbed her. Six, eight, ten hands, grabbing at her all at once. They grabbed hold of her and yanked her through the doorway. I held onto her for as long as I could. But she went flying through. I reached in and tried to follow her. But the portal was closing and it solidified. I went into the closest doorway I could find." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wednesday, April 10, 2018

Dear Gentle Readers, Oh, it’s been a long time since I sat here to ramble on and on about the minutia and planetoids colliding in my m...